Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Porto Cristo, Mallorca

Location: Porto Cristo, Spain
I recently travelled to Mallorca, in the Balearic Islands which is part of Spain. Normally, this island is known for it's cheap family holidays, beaches, and party life (in Magaluf!). Luckily, I found this not to be the case at all, and there were so many hidden gems in this lovely country.

I travelled with my friend Benn, who hired a car there and drove around. It's good if you can do this, as Mallorca is quite a big island! (120km across).

Here, I show a few photos from the area of Porto Cristo, famous for it's lovely beach areas, and the amazing Dragon Caves (Cuevas del Drach).



Here is the waiting area to enter the caves, with a lovely view of the sea and bay in the background.


The entrance to the cave is quite spooky! I thought the rocks here looked like human skulls...

The rock formations here were like an alien planet! Millions of years of water dripping from the ceiling caused such features, called Stalactites and Stalagmites.

But the star of the show was the pools and lakes as we continued further down...
The lighting provided was amazing!

These pools almost look like a tiny underground beach! But the best part of the caves was the huge underground lake (Lake Martell), with boats floating across playing a live classical music concert... (me and my friend were waiting in the dark)

The best part was when we got the opportunity to go onto a boat ourselves and be rowed across the lake!
Finally, we reached the exit, emerging into the tropical plants. Almost like the age of the dinosaurs!
The caves were very amazing, and I recommend everyone who goes to Mallorca to visit them!

Next stop was the lovely beach in Porto Cristo (Playa de Porto Cristo), just a few minutes from the caves.



This was one of the nicest beaches I have ever been to, with lovely warm water, and the rocks and caves surround the left side.


I hope you enjoyed my first post! I have many more to come from Mallorca.


Mitch 😎

0 comments:

Post a Comment