Thursday, July 6, 2017

Vieste,Italy

Location: Vieste, Province of Foggia, Italy
I never thought of going to Vieste, I got suddenly chance to for a conference in Vieste. When I first the check the venue, immediately I thought I should not missed the chance to go Vieste. This is small town with very clean and beautiful beaches. Vieste reminded me of Jurassic coast in UK with similar limestone along the coast.
Top things to see in Vieste
  • Pizzomunno
  • Beaches
  • Town center
  • Cathedral
There is love story of legend for Pizzomunno rock. Pizzomunno is young man loved local girl Cristalda. He fell in love with her and he comes back every 100 years or something, locals love to tell the story. I like the rock standing out at the entrance of town, it become iconic symbol of Vieste.

Just before entering town there is line of hotels on the left hand side and beach on right hand side. They are maintained by hotels. Hotels put lot of beach chairs, they are very colorful and neat. I stayed in Hotel Pizzomunno, it got nice swimming pool and tunnel across the road that directly leads to the beach. 
Food in this hotel is very very good, all the people in conference loved the food. My local Italian friend made me try local food and drinks, I have tried cheese, pizzas, pasta, sea food and I enjoyed it.
I  took couple of hours break and went for a walk in the city, I started climbing hill to reach castle and saw some small churches. View from top of the hill near castle is good, you can see Vieste's most famous point is Pizzomunno

From there I started walking along small streets and reached the harbor and other side of city that has another wonderful beach. 





              
          















After finishing conference my friend Valerio drooped me in Foggia. Just outside the city I saw this wonderful limestone erosion caused by the sea. I recommend to stop at this location. (Vieste FG, Italy 41.828, 16.194)

Errosion of coast is bad but in some cases it lead to nice structures like above.

0 comments:

Post a Comment